Thursday, January 10, 2013

An Australian Ranchero

Hi guys! Just back from a trip to Australia. Came across some Ford cars I thought you would be interested in. They are built under the Falcon nameplate down There and come in a number of different configurations. This one style in particular caught my eye. It's a modern day Ranchero! If Ford made these here, it would be my daily driver. Due to building robots for a living, I need a pick-up to transfer parts and robots around. And truth be known, I despise my Ranger on many levels. It's a gutless wonder, that uses too much gas, pings like crazy going up hill, and well...drives like a truck. For many years, I've considered buying a rust-free 71 Ranchero from Texas and rebuilding one for the business.  Nice thought - but I know I would never be able to bring myself to drive it during the Winter. So I'm stuck with the Ranger until I can figure out how to import one of these Falcons into the country :) I can only imagine the hoops the government would enjoy watching me jump through to make that happen. These two were sitting back to back in downtown Brisbane. One was labeled a Boss 260 and the other was a Boss 290. As you can see below, they put out some serious horsepower numbers. Enjoy!

Boss 260 4-valve DOHC 5.4 L V8, 349 hp @ 5250 rpm, 369 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm

Boss 290 4-valve DOHC 5.4 L V8, 389 hp @ 5500 rpm, 384 lb·ft @ 4500 rpm
FORD FALCON BOSS 260
















FORD FALCON BOSS 290

8 comments:

  1. Welcome back RJ! Isn't it amazing that, considering the American thirst for pickup trucks, that the "Ranchero" concept hasn't made a comeback? I'd be all over this! Chubby has a very similar vehicle available in Mexico, so there is not doubt the transition would be an easy one. Hmmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey RJ, I don't know if I should thank you for showing us what is soooo cool or mumble some "colorful metaphors" at you for showing us what we can't get. I would dump my Tacoma so fast for one of these. I don't know what the weight is, but it has to fly with almost 400 ponies. I think I could handle that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. When my other truck rusted out from under me, I couldn't find an extended cab 4 banger stick...except the Tacoma...and I had to go to Ann Arbor to get it. That's why I need the Falcon GT.

      Delete
    2. Ok Dennis......we'll still go for a ride, but YOU are parkin' on the street sir!

      Delete
    3. Oh my, it's like living beside a guy for 30 years thinking he's a Steeler's fan, then finding out he's been secretly cheering for the Browns all these years :)

      Delete
  3. I saw a jet black version of these one night on the way back to the hotel. Had a very nice exhaust note with twin tip dual exhaust out the back. My Ranger is lucky there is an ocean between one of these and me or it would be in my garage and the Ranger on its way to the bone-pile!

    rj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey RJ, I think they do a Boss 315 version also now... Even more serious horses!

    ReplyDelete