Sunday, August 28, 2011

Parts Identification Help

As I've mentioned, my car came to me in cardboard boxes and coffee cans. With no documentation of the disassembly, I've combed NPD catalogs, shop manuals and slid under cars at car shows trying to identify parts that I couldn't find a home for. I'm finally down to a handful of parts that are still looking for a place to live. I'm posting them here in the hope someone might know what they are and where they go. As a warning, it is quite possible some of these aren't Mustang parts as we gathered up what we could find in the original restorer's garage. If it was on the floor, it went in a can. I've id'ed some of these parts since this photo. I've listed those below along with some additional descriptions. All help appreciated!





1 - front bumper-to-fender brackets
2 - original washer/thin sheet metal nuts that retain the brake drums
3 - front fender shims
4 - no idea - it's made of pot metal - about 1/8" thick
5 - no idea - thin sheet metal nut
6 - deck lid trim molding clips
7 - no idea - sheet metal hat with swagged stud - sheet metal nut
8 - no idea - hard plastic - look like some sort of blade seal
9 - these should be easy as there are 9 of them but I've yet to figure out where they go. Slight gold plating - 1/4-20 - these feel like seat bolts, heater box bolts or something in the taillight area. But I don't seem to be missing any fasteners in those areas. Five of them are 1 1/2" long, three are 2" long.

un-numbered photo - rear shock bushings (thanks to JoyRider for the id!!!) these came in a plastic bag attached to the rear seat springs.

2 comments:

  1. Hey SusieQ,

    Thanks for your kind remarks. My best friend from high school had a 68 convertible, 289, 3 speed, Meadowlark Yellow, black top and interior. We had a good time and had lot's of road trips in that car.

    I'm not sure I can help with the parts I.D. Unfortunately, some of the parts may not even be for your car. I've experienced that before. I would recommend getting a factory assembly manual. There's a set on eBay that is a good price. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-MUSTANG-ASSEMBLY-MANUAL-SET-/380365082813?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588f8690bd

    I bought the complete set including the weld and sealant manual (twice unfortunately) They have been immensely helpful, especially for door assembly.

    Hope you get the pieces-parts sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, nice car! The parts in the last picture are dampers which go on the rear shock absorbers - you actually need 4 per shock, so two are probably missing (maybe still in the shock wells behind the rear seat).

    ReplyDelete