Saturday, June 18, 2011

351W Crate Motor

I had initially planned on just freshening up the tired 302 that came original with the car. But after doing some research, it seemed a crate motor would prove more cost effective and time efficient. I narrowed my choices down to an aluminum-headed 302 or a cast iron 351W. Being a convertible, I decided a high-rev'ing small block wasn't needed and opted for the standard 351W instead. Came complete with everything except a carburetor. Aluminum 4-barrel intake, electronic distributor, plugs, wires - even a oil filter - all for just $2690! Just can't beat that price for a factory-built motor that will do 100K miles with no problems. 
I ended up swapping out the truck-specific oil pan for an early Mustang version. Added a Holley 4-barrel, JBA headers, March flat belt drive system and aluminum water pump. And the result is shown below. Can't wait for the day when she's running.

No comments:

Post a Comment