Monday, January 13, 2014

Quarter Trim Solution

Well, I've probably built more suspense into this than it deserves. But in my defense, it has been a niggling problem that has bothered me for quite awhile. In review, I've been looking for a alternate solution to the factory external quarter trim. Those goofy-looking, backward-facing chrome "C's" that reside just behind the doors. Unfortunately there aren't many options available. You can delete them and weld the holes shut - but then you have this featureless 1/4 panel that looks...well...featureless. You can add the brake scoops. The choice being the CS/GT's that are non-functional - which seems a bit silly. Or the Shelby scoops, which require drilling a large hole in the panel for ducting the air hose back to the rear brakes. For a RT66 cruiser? That seems a bit silly as well. Which leads back to the factory set-up - which for me, has too many styling cues from the 60's that really date what is otherwise, one of the most beautiful designed bodies out there. There's a very good reason why our 60's Mustangs are still seen in movies and commercials. Good design never ages.

So what is one to do? Well turns out, as most discoveries do, that it took an accident to lead me to the solution. Not a painful accident, just an incidental accident in the sense that I didn't mean to do that on purpose. I was sitting there pondering the factory trim for the nth time. As you guys know, the chrome part of the trim has 3 pins that go through a body-painted base molding then into the 1/4 panel where they are retained from the inside by sheet metal nuts. I was thinking, 'why don't I toss the chrome piece of the trim and just use the base molding? It's body color and adds a subtle feature to the 1/4 panel w/o too much clutter. I wanted to see the molding-only look, without the chrome trim, but of course it wouldn't hang there as the method of attachment requires the chrome part. So I reached over and found a button-head screw lying on the floor and stuck it in the top hole of the 3-hole pattern and stepped back for a look.  I went back to the car, pulled the screw out, tossed the molding, and put the screw back. Close but not quite there. Headed to my fastener bins and dug out 3 flanged stainless button-head screws and stuck them in the 3 holes. And bingo, there was the answer - maybe not 'the' answer, or even 'an' answer - but it was 'my' answer. For a few weeks, I just left them sitting there in the holes. Occasionally, I would stop and take a look and see if they continued to float my boat. I was happy but not 100% happy. Then one night while shopping at Ring Bros for their door strikers - I spotted a line of machined washers they make that come with a corresponding unique button-head screw - in stainless of course. Bought a couple for a test run and liked the results.

Even better, it ended up solving another design problem I've had - those equally ugly rear quarter reflectors. I tossed those as well and put the machined washer/button-heads in their place. In the end, I'm going with the motto, simpler is better. For my tastes, it is a cleaner look and feels a bit more industrial, a bit more racy. I like it. Feel free to throw rocks. I'm still open to alternate suggestions. Maybe this will stimulate an even better answer. Gosh knows, we've all sat on the floor staring at those quarter panels long enough :)

Apologies for the photos. It looks much better in person. The flash ruins the look.  I've also stuck some of the button-heads in the 1/4 end caps but I think I'll end up going with the standard trim back there. That part of the car is one of my favorite views of  the 67/68 bodies. The long, thin trim across the deck lid and the 2 hockey sticks on the end caps.

Ring Bros - 304 stainless steel button-head and machined washer


Quarter trim holes filled with button-heads

Rear reflector holes filled   







End caps with button-heads...hmmmm...maybe not...

11 comments:

  1. Interesting solution. It does give a look of industrial toughness. The question is how can you blend the other components e.g. wheels, window/door trim to complete the look? It could bring a totally new look for a Mustang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis, I agree - and I've been thinking about the door handles. The problem with it is that it is easy to do too much of it. I think that deleting the chrome trim on the back and going with just the fasteners is approaching that. I was thinking that going with the 67 style snap-on convertible boot might be a nice change from the smooth look of the 68's.

    Also, my wheel choice - 2005 GT wheels - seems to complement the washer/button-head look. Steering wheel will also be important choice. So more sitting on a bucket, looking at the car :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In all honesty, it's not my cup of tea. Perhaps a completely smooth, domed head on them may add just enough refinement to not look like "hardware" filling holes. Maybe even in anodized aluminum? Just thinking out loud and no offense intended at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sven, my brother said the same thing!!!! :) Again, it looks better in person. The natural stainless patina matches the anodizing on the wheels well so there's a nice tie-in there. I'll continue to let it simmer. Maybe you guys will come up with something better.

      As an aside, I betcha no one has ever used the word 'patina' in a Mustang restoration blog!!!!

      rj

      Delete
    2. BTW, did you see the stainless steel door strikers in the post just before this one? Now that is a 'Sven part' if I ever saw one!

      rj

      Delete
    3. The strikers! Forgeot to mention how cool they are! While I am not generally a fan of the Ring Brothers styling choices (or their prices), these strikers are very smooth. I will actually be using a pair of these on the Boss as well.

      P.S. Chicks LOVE the word "patina".........8^)

      Delete
  4. Hey RJ! You were so nice to me regarding my halos that I feel terrible saying that I don't care for the solution. I'm Sorry! :-( My personal hangup is that they look like snap fasteners. Like something is supposed to go there but is missing. Now, having just said that and crushed your hopes and dreams... are you looking for a home for your quarter reflectors or are they long gone? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hate to say it, but I'm not a fan of the look either. I actually like the look of the trim. At the same time though, if you are happy with how it looks, then what we say about it really doesn't matter. It's your car, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guys, thanks so much for honest opinions. I'm too old to have hurt feelings. I design for a living so I'm used to people throwing stuff at my ideas :) I need to take a photo from further back. I took another look at it today and I like it - at least over anything else I've come up with. At least it is a cleaner look and gets rid of 6 extra parts on the car. Alex, I'll see if I can find the reflectors. As I recall they had a serious case of chrome spiders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RJ. No worries. I have some reflectors but they're pitted so I was hoping for some better chrome. Thanks though!

      Delete
  7. Ok. Bring the 'ol girl out to sunny Michigan and we'll just make those pesky holes go away. She'll be lighter and faster that way! Whadaya say RJ?

    ReplyDelete